Feel that chill in the air? It’s officially layering season. And when it comes down to it, men’s fall fashion is all about having a strong foundation of essentials to do it with. Keep reading for our must-haves, then take a look at our style guide to see how it’s done.
As a starting point, here’s what you’ll want to have on hand:
1. Sport coats
2. Long-sleeve wovens
4. Dark denim
Using pieces from the list above, we’ll show you how easy putting together a variety of looks can be. Keep scrolling for our step-by-step outfit breakdown.
When dressing for an important day in the office, stick with an upgraded version of what you know. This way, you won’t feel distracted by what you’re wearing and can focus on doing your best.
- Start off with the classics—a dress shirt and pants. This tried-and-true combination is foolproof and will serve as the perfect base for the rest of your look.
- Layer on a sport coat with an interesting pattern. Plaid is always a great option for fall and by going with an unexpected color, you instantly have an outfit that stands out.
- Consider adding a contrasting pocket square to give your look a handsome finish.
For the weekend
Days off are all about dressing for comfort. To do this while still looking put-together, we have a few tricks.
- Choose your favorite pair of slim-fit denim. We recommend going with a darker wash because it gives your outfit a refined look.
- Add a pop of color. A bright sweater not only complements the dark denim, but it also makes for a great focal point, too.
- Keep the look from feeling too dressy with a pair of neutral-toned chukka boots.
For a night out
We’ve all been there before—wanting a great outfit for a special night, then unnecessarily complicating things. But sometimes, keeping things minimal is the best way to make a statement.
- Sharpen your look with a modern-fit button-down. A moody floral print falls in line with the season and can be worn for a range of occasions.
- Skip the denim in favor of colored trousers. For an understated impact, pick a shade inspired by the shirt’s color palette.
- Polish off the look with sleek Chelsea boots and a matching belt to bring it all together.