Unable to keep your usual Mother's Day traditions this year? In times when you can't connect with the special women in your life, there are still unique ways to show them what an adoring son, grandson, nephew, husband, friend, or brother you are.
Here are 10 thoughtful ideas for the holiday—they might even make their way into your annual Mother's Day traditions.
1. Throw a tea party or happy hour
Are they a wine enthusiast or more of a green tea person? Whatever their choice of libation, see if you can get it delivered to them, then host a party over Zoom or Skype with them as your honored guest. Just grab your favorite glass or mug and spend the hour celebrating in their honor.
2. Create a personalized playlist
Think of the kind of story you want to tell through the music, then choose a theme: special memories, songs from their childhood or college years, or songs that remind them of their favorite places in the world.
3. Send a digital scrapbook
Few things are more classic than a heartfelt scrapbook—and going digital doesn't make it any less special. Featuring beautiful templates, Canva is an app you can use on a mobile phone or computer and even collaborate with others on your project.
4. Create a brunch menu
Does she love to cook? Bring a delicious brunch to her this Mother's Day by creating a special menu that she can cook up at home using ingredients you've had delivered to her door. Better yet: Cook and eat with her.
How to make a menu:
- Select a template on your computer's word processor.
- List out starters, mains, desserts, and drinks—add images for extra flair.
- Include a special note in the footer.
5. "Go" to the movies
Movie night is a cinch with the Netflix Party extension for Chrome. Choose a title and sync up with your loved ones for a cozy viewing session in your living room.
6. Record a tribute
Profess your love and appreciation to the moms in your life with a touching post on your social media feeds. A short video montage accompanied by a thoughtful caption will show them just how special they are.
7. Send a care package
Deliver a box of joy right to her door. Nordstrom has an incredible selection of Mother's Day gifts, including candles, bath bombs, skincare, and even jewelry.
8. Take a virtual yoga or fitness class together
If she's health-focused, attend a group class online—the presence of others is a major motivator. Pick a session, pull on your go-to activewear, and get moving!
Here are a few companies offering at-home classes:
- Eb & Flow Yoga Studio, ebandflowyoga.com
- Rumble Boxing, Instagram: @doyourumble
- 305 Fitness, 305fitness.com
- Dance Church, go.dancechurch.com
- Blink Fitness, Facebook: @BlinkFitness
9. Have a virtual paint-and-sip party
Give Mother's Day a creative twist with a paint night or afternoon. Painting is therapeutic and you'll have something tangible to take away from the moment.
What to do:
- Gift them a DIY kit purchased online. (Or, if you're feeling particularly artistic, maybe try to recreate a treasured family photo.)
- Decide on a wine or non-alcoholic cocktail.
- Wear a smock or apron to protect your clothes.
- Set up FaceTime or a video conferencing app.
10. Organize a street serenade
Go big this holiday by organizing a caravan of close friends and family. Seeing this surprise parade is sure to wow her.
How to parade:
- Draw up signs featuring loving messages.
- Safely secure a balloon (or three) to the top of your car.
- Briefly crank up your stereo playing a Mother's Day–inspired song.
And, of course, there's one more surefire way to her heart on Mother's Day—by sending her a Nordstrom gift card.